Content Marketing Analytics Tools (22 Top Picks for 2023)
Content marketing analytics tools are essential for any content marketer.
They help you measure the effectiveness of your content marketing strategies so you can see what’s working for your business.
If you’re unsure which tools you need, we’ve compiled a list of the most popular content analytics tools.
Choose the best ones for your business so you can measure the results of your digital marketing campaigns.
What Is Content Marketing Analytics?
Content marketing analytics is a way to track your content performance.
You can determine what's working and what isn't, making better decisions when developing a new content strategy or investing in social media marketing.
Your content marketing analytics tools will measure, analyze, and report on your content marketing strategy.
You’ll have a holistic view of your entire content creation process and your results.
Content analytics is a great way to measure the success of your content marketing efforts.
To get the most from your marketing strategies, you must understand what’s working and what isn't.
Benefits of Content Marketing Analytics
Marketing is a challenging game and requires hard work to produce and distribute content that resonates with your audience.
You need marketing data to make informed decisions.
Content analytics provide a better insight into customer needs and preferences.
These actionable insights help you create more relevant content so potential customers have a better experience with your brand.
Content analytics can measure the performance of a marketing campaign and assess the effectiveness of your content strategy to maximize your marketing dollars.
When you have this information and make adjustments to your strategies, you'll have:
- Better brand awareness
- Higher customer retention rates
- Improved search engine rankings
- Better conversion rates across your social media channels
- Improved visibility and authority in your market
- Higher sales conversions
Content Marketing Analytics Tools
Some content marketing tools are free, while others require payment.
Here is our list of the most popular content analytics tools.
Searchmetrics is search engine optimization software for businesses. Searchmetrics collects data, and their analysts, data scientists, and engineers study it to find market insights so your business can increase sales.
- Unique search data that helps you find market changes
- Comprehensive search engine optimization (SEO) strategies for organic search traffic
- Competitive intelligence to stay ahead of your competition
- API integration with your own tools
Schedule a consultation for pricing information.
Best for a built-in content experience.
SimilarWeb is a marketing analytics software platform that uses Digital Research Intelligence to help craft your business's long-term digital content strategy.
- Understand where you stand compared to your competitors
- Stay up to date with market trends
- Find your competitors’ digital strategies so you can refine and adjust your own
- Get detailed analytics on your target audience for a better understanding of their customer journey
SimilarWeb offers a free plan with limited features. If you need more features, contact them for a quote.
Best for benchmarking.
Moz software helps you track and analyze your search engine optimization and digital marketing strategy.
- Audit your site to find technical SEO issues and the recommended fixes
- Find the gaps in your competitors’ keyword strategy
- Analyze your and your competitors’ backlinks
- Generate custom reports to monitor your efforts
Moz's plans start at $79/month for the standard plan and go up to $479/month for the premium plan. They also offer a suite of free SEO tools.
Best for businesses who need generous crawl limits.
Databox is a software platform where you build custom dashboards to monitor all your business analytics in one location.
- Pull your performance data from Facebook, Shopify, SalesForce, and more so you can view and analyze it from one dashboard
- Premade, proven templates, so you aren’t building your dashboard from scratch
- Track goals and KPI scorecards and alerts on your phone, desktop, TV, or smartwatch
- Embed reports in HTML pages for sharing with other team members
Databox offers a free plan. Paid plans start at $72/month and increase to $289/month for unlimited users and databoards.
Best for bringing all your data under one roof.
Supermetrics is another marketing automation analytics software system where you can build custom dashboards to monitor your digital marketing efforts.
- Integrates with 90+ marketing and sales platforms
- Automatically pulls data right to your dashboard
- Gives you clean data as seen in native reporting
- Offers 50+ customizable dashboard templates
Data Studio pricing starts at $49/month for one user and data source. Enterprise accounts that need access to all data sources and unlimited users can ask for a custom quote.
Best for those who want all their data in the Google suite.
6. SE Ranking
SE Ranking is a cloud-based SEO software for businesses, analysts, and SEO professionals. Best for budget-conscious businesses and those who want to manage their SEO efforts via an app.
- Gives you competitor research tools for paid and organic search and Google Ads
- Keeps you updated with your SEO efforts via a mobile app
- Offers live chat, email marketing, and phone support
- Has a budget-friendly pricing structure
SE Ranking pricing starts at $23.52/month for their Essential plan. You can lower your price by decreasing your rankings check frequency and paying annual rates.
Best for a budget-friendly plan.
7. Google Analytics
Google Analytics is a service from Google that offers analytic tools for your SEO and marketing strategies.
- Learn how customers interact on your site and with your content
- Get new insights with Google’s machine learning
- Analyze your data easily with user-friendly reports
- Get better ROI on your ad spend by connecting to Google Ads, Search Ads 360, Display & Video 360, Google Cloud, and Google Search Console
Google Analytics is free for small businesses. Enterprise options are available by contacting the sales department.
Best for integrating with other Google tools.
Buffer is a social media management tool for publishing, engaging, and analyzing your social media content.
- Official partnerships with Meta, Pinterest, and LinkedIn
- Publish to Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, Pinterest, and LinkedIn from one location
- Analyze all your social media platforms from one dashboard
- Engage with your audience directly from your desktop
Buffer offers a free plan for those just getting started with social media. Paid plans start at $5/month per social channel and increase to $100/month for the agency level.
Best for social media scheduling and analyzing.
Plecto is a dashboard that monitors your business performance and displays real-time indicators so your employees can see how well they perform.
- Track performance in real-time on TVs, desktops, tablets, phones, and smartwatches
- Instant notifications allow you to recognize employees’ achievements right away
- Help employees set and track targeted performance goals
- Create unlimited reports with up to 20 measured KPIs
Pricing starts at $200/month for unlimited dashboards and 10 licenses. Enterprise options are available when you contact Plecto support.
Best for employee empowerment.
Quintly is a social media analytics tool. You can use it to track, benchmark, and compare how well your social media strategies are working compared to those of your competitors.
- 700+ customizable metrics and dashboards so you can track your goals
- Easy-to-generate reports with dynamic links and custom branding
- Analyze and follow your competitors, dream clients, influencers, and more
- API integration for complete customization and security
Pricing starts at $315/month for one user and three profiles. Prices increase as you add more users and profiles.
Best for social media strategy.
Cyfe is an all-in-one business dashboard where you can track your social media, sales, marketing, analytics, and customer support in one place.
- Customizable pre-built dashboard templates
- Pre-populated widgets for the most popular services
- Schedule automated email reports and deliver them in multiple formats
- Text or email alerts so you stay on top of things
Pricing starts at $19/month for one user and two dashboards. The Agency level starts at $150/month for unlimited users and dashboards and up to 10 clients.
Best for easy setup and use.
Kissmetrics is an analytic software product that shows you the behavioral analytics of the people who visit your website or app so you can make strategic decisions.
- Available for both SaaS and eCommerce platforms
- Detailed reports show you the most used features and most view pages on your site
- Segment your marketing funnels by channel, source, and campaign
- Learn which products and categories are trending
Plans start at $299/month, billed annually. Custom pricing is available for platinum customers.
Best for mapping the customer journey.
HubSpot is a cloud-based customer relationship management platform. There are five hubs; you can use them individually or as one inbound marketing system.
- Generate more leads and automate your marketing
- Schedule sales meetings and handle client payments
- Get customer feedback and set up a knowledge base
- Drag-and-drop editors and SEO recommendations
HubSpot has a suite of free tools available. Pricing for paid plans varies.
Best for unique data structuring needs.
SEMRush is a marketing platform that helps you run all of your digital marketing campaigns. It covers your SEO, competitor analysis, content marketing, PPC, and social media needs.
- Find keywords, analyze backlink profiles, and run technical audits
- Conduct content research, audit your content strategy, and track content reach
- Analyze competitors’ promotional campaigns
- Schedule, post, track, and analyze your social media campaigns
Pricing starts at $119/month for the entry-level and goes up to $449.95/month for agencies and enterprise accounts.
Best for tracking keyword performance.
Hotjar is a suite of behavioral analytics tools like heatmaps, recordings, and surveys that show you how your website visitors interact with your site.
- Clip snippets of recordings and heatmaps to analyze them with your team
- Compare visitors’ actions when they come from different traffic sources
- GDPR and CCPA compliant
- One script installation for easy setup
Hotjar offers a free plan for both their heatmap and survey packages. Paid plans start at $31/month for heatmaps and $47/month for the feedback and survey options.
Best for heatmap installation.
BuzzSumo is a research content analytics tool that helps you find content performing well with audiences. You can also search for influencers and backlinking opportunities.
- Find thousands of content ideas that are relevant and trending
- Uncover your competition's best content and see how you measure up
- Find influencers who’ll likely share your content during outreach campaigns
- Monitor brand mentions, your competition, topics, and products
The free plan gives you 10 searches a month and one year of data. Paid plans start at $79/ month for annual pricing.
Best for finding trending topics.
Grow is another option for business intelligence software. It’s a no-code, full-stack, web-based platform with hundreds of 5-star reviews on G2, Capterra, and TrustRadius.
- Integrations with the most popular platforms, databases, and CRMs
- No third-party warehouse and full data transparency
- Custom reports and dashboards with total storage flexibility
- View data and share with your marketing team
Grow offers a free trial. Contact support for specific pricing details.
Best for no-code business intelligence options.
Ahrefs is an SEO and digital marketing analytics tool for researching and analyzing search content and traffic.
- Extensive library of tutorials and guides
- Site explorer to study the competition’s keywords, backlinks, traffic, ads, and more
- Keyword explorer to help you find the optimal keywords for you to target
- Site audits flag pages with technical issues and makes suggestions for fixing
Pricing starts at $99/month for lite accounts and increases to $999/month for enterprise accounts. Pay annually and get two months free.
Best for backlink analysis.
Clicky is another website analytics tool that provides you with real-time data of your marketing performance.
- Filter out referrer, spam bot, and country-specific traffic
- Live view of real-time visitors and on-site analytics
- Fully asynchronous and customizable tracking
- Anonymized and GDRP-compliant visitor and action logs
Clicky offers a free plan for one website and up to 3000 daily page views. Paid plans start at $9.99/month.
Best for filtering out unwanted data.
DemandSage is an analytics tool that pulls all your information from HubSpot and organizes it into Google Sheets for a one-click customizable report.
- Watch and track your HubSpot changes over time so you can make adjustments to your marketing funnel
- Flexible, customizable spreadsheets with the data you want to see
- Discover how long target customers spend in the sales pipeline and where they’re not converting
- Automatic data syncing and granular record-level data
The Demand Sage Basic plan is free. Contact support for a custom quote if you need more data connectors.
Best for HubSpot users.
Adverity is a data and analytics platform for sales, marketing, and eCommerce teams that gives you the data you need to optimize your marketing and sales campaigns.
- Automatic integrations with all marketing technology platforms.
- No-code data transformation engine
- Out-of-the-box dashboards and flexible widgets
- Simple report sharing for the stakeholders in your business
Reach out to Adverity for a custom quote for your business.
Best for martech integrations.
SpyFu is a competitor research tool for your SEO marketing and PPC ad strategies. See what’s working (and not working) for your competitors so you can uplevel your marketing.
- Google Ads competitor keywords spy tool
- PPC ad rank tracker
- Complete keyword ranking history
- PPC and SEO SERP analysis
Plans start at $39/month for the Basic level and go up to $79/month for the Professional package.
Best for experienced SEOs as SpyFu is a more complex system.
Content Metrics to Measure
Here are some content marketing metrics to consider when analyzing your content marketing strategies.
How much of your web traffic comes from organic search? How much of your content ranks on page one of search engine results? How many keywords does your site rank for?
2. Site Traffic
Site traffic refers to the number of people visiting a site. This includes people who visit the site from a web browser, app, or other devices.
3. Site Page Views
Your site page views are the number of times a page has been loaded or "viewed" by users.
Site sessions track the activity on a website, such as the time users spend on the site and which pages they visit.
Site impressions measure the number of times one individual has viewed a web page.
6. Bounce Rate
Bounce rate is the percentage of visitors who leave a website after viewing only one page.
7. Website Content Engagement
Digital engagement is measured by time spent on a website, the number of pages viewed, clicks, etc.
8. Social Media Engagement
Social media engagement looks at the number of comments, likes, or shares a post gets.
9. Customer Engagement
How much of your content does a customer engage with? Do they read your blog posts? Sign up for emails?
10. New Leads
How often are new leads coming in, and from what sources?
How well are new leads converting into paying customers?
12. Brand Awareness
What is the strength of the customer's emotional connection with your brand? How many people are aware of your product or service?
13. Upsells and Cross-Sell Offers
How many customers return to buy your more expensive products? How many buy your products or services that complement their original purchase?
Are You Ready to Measure Your Content Marketing Analytics?
If you want results with your marketing efforts, you need the right content marketing analytics. This list will get you started on the right path.
Measure your content marketing strategy and never lose track of your progress again.
With the insights you find, you’ll be ready to take your business to the next level.
Jennifer Ayling is a freelance SEO content writer. She specializes in creating blog content for female entrepreneurs in the online business and digital marketing spaces.