19 Best Email Marketing Software Tools for 2023! 📧
Are you looking to take your email marketing to the next level with email marketing software that increases your ROI?
But with all the choices out there, does the idea of choosing the perfect email marketing software send you into a tailspin?
Don’t panic! You’re in the right place.
We’re going to — calmly — guide you through some choices and help find the perfect solution for all email marketers.
Let's dive in!
Email Marketing Software Is Crucial for Your Marketing Campaigns
Choosing the best email marketing software to serve and build your email list of subscribers is a decision you can’t weigh lightly.
Why? Because the ROI (return on investment) for email marketing is epic.
For every dollar spent on an email marketing campaign, you will see an average ROI of $36.00.
That means when you spend $1.00, you will get back $36.00 in return.
Next, let’s consider the differing ratios amongst other industries to see how profitable email marketing campaigns can be:
- Media, publishing, events, sports, & entertainment: 32:1
- Software & technology: 36:1
- Marketing, PR, & advertising agency: 42:1
- eCommerce, & consumer goods: 45:1
- Travel, tourism, & hospitality 53:1
Taking the average ratios across these industries, you get an ROI of 42:1 — a statistic you cannot ignore.
Next, you may be thinking, can email marketing drive sales? You bet!
According to the Direct Marketing Association, 66% of consumers purchased a product due to an email campaign.
Hands down, email marketing, to the dismay of social media marketing, is the most lucrative way to reach your target audience today.
Some Things to Look for in Your Email Marketing Software 👀
Next, you’ll want to clarify your specific needs and know how you’d like to accomplish them through email marketing tools and software.
With so many email marketing platforms to choose from, you will want to focus on marketing tools that deliver core functionality and come at a reasonable price.
Good email marketing tools and software should offer the following basics:
- Engaging newsletters
- Drag and drop editors
- Customizable templates
- Marketing automation features and systems to send personalized emails
- Send bulk emails to a large number of subscribers.
- Managing and segmenting your users into specific groups
- Track the performance of your emails like A/B testing that allows you to assess different combinations of features and messages
- Custom tags that will enable simple list segmentation
- Seamless integrations with your CRM to enable further list segmentation
- Offering a spam-proof way to send emails that get opened
- 3rd party eCommerce integrations
- Customer support that goes beyond an online database of FAQ’s
Email Marketing Software Platforms
Now that you know what to look for, let’s dive in and discover the best email marketing service and software platforms on the market today.
Mailchimp, designed in 2001 to be an all-in-one email marketing platform, is best known for championing small businesses with big business tools at an affordable price.
- Simple user interface
- Drag and drop editor
- Professional templates and landing pages
- Pop-up signup forms to add to your website
- A/B testing
- Prebuilt and custom list segmentation
- Send-time optimization
- Free Plan: support for 2,000 contacts - includes a marketing CRM, creative assistant, website builder, Mailchimp domain, and forms and landing pages.
- Essentials: $11 per month and supporting 500 contacts - includes the free plan features plus 24/7 email and chat support and more.
- Standard: $17 per month and supporting 500 contacts - includes the free plan and essentials features plus send-time optimization and more.
- Premium: $299 per month and supporting 10,000 contacts - includes features of all three plans plus advanced segmentation and more.
Omnisend is an email & SMS marketing automation platform that helps eCommerce merchants understand their customers better, faster, and more effectively to help increase sales and customer loyalty.
- Drag-and-drop email builder, including a library of pre-built templates customizable for your brand
- Pop-ups, landing pages, and various interactive signup forms that help you acquire more subscribers
- The Product Picker, which lets you add products directly into your email without having to leave the email builder
- Unique, auto-generated discount codes
- Flexible marketing segmentation that allows you to get as general or granular with your contacts as you’d like
- Powerful automations, including a library of pre-built templates to get started quickly
- Multiple channels, such as SMS and push notifications, that can be added to campaigns, automations, etc.
- Facebook and Google audience sync, so you can create more targeted ads
- In-depth reporting so you can understand your customers better from a glance
- Free plan: up to 250 contacts, and 500 emails per month; this includes all of the features in the other plans, including automation, segmentation, SMS, push, and more
- Paid plans: starting at $16/month; includes all the features mentioned plus a dedicated Customer Success Manager, priority 24/7 support, and advanced reporting
Drip, invented in 1992, was one of the originators of lead nurturing via marketing email autoresponders. Drip is best known for supporting small to medium-sized eCommerce businesses.
- Email, SMS, and social media marketing
- Dynamic eCommerce content marketing
- Split testing sequences
- Discount codes
- Visual automation tool
- Reporting dashboards
- eCommerce marketing segmentation
- eCommerce store integrations with Shopify, Magento, and WooCommerce, in addition to less well-known and custom online stores.
- Built-in revenue analytics
- 14-Day Free Trial: no credit card required to start up.
- Email 1 to 500 contacts: $19 per month. Includes unlimited email sends and email support.
- Email & SMS 1 to 500 contacts: $22 per month. Includes the email features and 200 SMS sends.
- **Pricing then becomes a sliding scale as you add more contacts.
4. Constant Contact
Constant Contact came on the scene in 1995 and is now a recognized leader in the email marketing platform space. They are best known for supporting small businesses.
- A wide choice of free beautiful emails and templates
- Build your own branded templates based on your website or Facebook page
- A/B testing for subject lines
- Automated resends for subscribers who don’t open an email campaign
- Multi-step automated email series
- Tools for surveys and online donations
- Advanced segmentation based on links clicked in an email
- Create custom audiences based on user engagement or purchasing behavior
- In-depth engagement reporting showing you click-through rates and beyond
- eCommerce campaign marketing analytics
- Email 1-500 contacts: starting at $20 per month. This plan includes unlimited email marketing sends, email list growth tools, real-time reporting, social posting, and live phone and chat support.
- Email Plus 1-500 contacts: starting at $45 per month. This plan includes everything in Email, plus email marketing automation and more.
Since its inception in 1998, AWeber continues to be a formidable leader in the competitive world of email marketing service platforms — and is best known for supporting small businesses.
- Create basic autoresponder sequences with the drag & drop builder
- A comprehensive library of email templates and stock images
- AI-powered design assistant that uses your website and social media accounts to brand your business’s email newsletters
- Segmenting customers via custom tags manually or automatically
- Email automation allows you to run your campaigns on autopilot
- Email tracking and analytics
- AWeber Free: includes up to 500 email subscribers - in addition to landing pages, web push notifications, drag-and-drop builder, email templates, signup forms, eCommerce, and more.
- AWeber Pro: includes up to 500 email subscribers starting at $16.15 and scaling up from there based on the number of contacts. This plan consists of the free version plus unlimited email lists and more.
6. HubSpot Marketing Hub
HubSpot is a marketing hub and email marketing service best known for supporting B2B marketing companies and sales-oriented businesses like SaaS.
Founded in 2006 by Brian Halligan and Dharmesh Shah, HubSpot uses inbound marketing to focus on helping the consumer versus driving sales first.
- Email and landing pages
- Social media ads
- Live chat
- SEO marketing
- Content marketing
- Email tracking and scheduling
- Meeting scheduling
- Predictive lead scoring
- Sales automation feature
- Email sequences
- WordPress plug-in that allows you to send email campaigns directly from your site
- Email deliverability
- A/B testing
- Detailed performance analytics
- Marketing automation
- Drip Campaigns
- Starter: starts at $45 per month - includes 1,000 marketing contacts.
- Professional: starts at $800 per month - includes 2,000 marketing contacts.
- Enterprise: starts at $3,200 per month - includes 10,000 marketing contacts.
Sendinblue is a complete email marketing service platform and SMS email marketing tool known for transactional emails.
Founded in 2012 and based out of Paris, they quickly became a significant player in the email marketing space.
- Drag and drop email editor perfect for beginners
- Send transactional emails
- Create workflows for automatic follow-up emails
- Segment users
- AI algorithms detect the best time to send bulk emails
- Landing page builder
- Live chat
- Sales CRM
- Facebook ads integration
- Free plan: supports unlimited email contacts, 300 emails per day, and chat (1 user).
- Lite: $25 per month and offers everything in the free plan plus no daily sending limit, email support, and more.
- Premium: $65 per month and offers the free and lite + plans plus marketing automation, telephone support, and more.
- Enterprise: call to receive a quote.
Founded in 2013, ConvertKit is an email marketing software aimed at helping online content creators like bloggers and authors make a living online.
- Easily offer content upgrades and incentives with email signup forms
- Easy to manage autoresponders that allow you to drip emails
- A visual way to set up email drip campaigns
- Segment subscribers by those interested and those who’ve purchased
- A/B testing
- Workflow editor shows you what sequences look like in action
- 98% deliverability rates — and 30% average open rates
- Subscriber tags to create customizable segmentation
- Automated email funnels to target content at the right time
- Performance statistics on every email
- Free plan: 1 - 300 subscribers - includes unlimited landing pages and forms, email broadcasts, digital products, subscription sales, plus community support.
- Creator plan: starting at $9 per month for 1 - 300 subscribers - includes the free version features in addition to live chat and email support.
- Creator Pro: starting at $25 per month for 1 - 300 subscribers - includes the first two versions plus priority live chat and email support.
EmailOctopus, developed in 2014, capitalizes on the benefits of Amazon’s simple email service (SES) — and marries it with a user interface that is incredibly simple to use.
Email Octopus is best known for supporting small tech startups and developers with a working knowledge of Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Pre-designed templates to customize with the easy-to-use email editor
- Import HTML templates
- Customizable forms for your website
- Landing page creation
- Simple drip campaigns
- Tag customers into target audiences
- Click and Bounce rate — simple reporting
- Integrations with Zapier, WordPress, Shopify, and more
- Starter Plan: free up to 2,500 subscribers - includes 10K emails per month, reports available for 30 days, and essential support.
- Pro: starting at $24 per month for 5,000 subscribers and 50,000 emails - it includes complete control over your email design, priority support, and more.
MailerLite, developed in 2010, is an email marketing software best known for supporting beginners, personal projects, freelancers, charities, and small businesses looking for simple, straightforward email tools.
And as the name implies, MailerLite offers the basics to create stunning emails and simple automation — you will not find advanced features like a CRM here.
- Drag and drop newsletter editor
- Newsletter templates
- Embedded signup forms
- A/B testing
- Email automation
- Sell digital products
- Interest group tagging
- eCommerce marketing automation
- Deliver by time zone
- Auto resend
- RSS campaigns
- Transactional emails sent through MailerSend
- Abandoned cart emails available for Shopify and WooCommerce
- Free plan: 0 to 1,000 subscribers and 12,000 emails per month - includes 24/7 email support, knowledge base and video tutorials, and more.
- Premium plans: start at $10 per month for 1,000 subscribers - includes all free plan offerings, customization features, and advanced automation.
11. Campaign Monitor
Campaign Monitor, founded in 2004, is an email marketing service from Australia that offers easy-to-use features and is best known for supporting beginners and small enterprises.
- Wide range of responsive email templates
- Drag and drop editor to customize templates
- Easy to add personalizations
- Send time optimization
- Visual journey editor to drag and drop your email into a sequence
- Email sequencing based on subscriber behavior and past interactions
- Basic plan: starting at $9 per month for 500 contacts - including a 2,500 monthly email send volume, unlimited multiple users, user roles and permissions, and two-factor authentication.
- Unlimited plan: starting at $29 per month for 500 contacts - including unlimited monthly email sends, plus the features from the basic plan and more.
- Premier plan: starting at $149 per month for 500 contacts. Including everything from the first two plans, plus priority support and advanced features.
GetResponse is a suite of marketing tools and an email marketing service — best known for helping small businesses expand their audiences.
- Free professionally designed email templates
- Drag and drop editor to craft branded emails
- Proven 99% deliverability
- Perfect timing tool delivering content at your audience’s preferred time
- Custom segments based on subscriber behaviors
- A/B test subject lines, different images, and CTA buttons
- Automation tools, including drip campaigns
- Free Forever: plan includes email marketing, website builder, domain connection, 500 contacts, landing pages, and signup and contact forms.
- Paid plans: start at $10.50 per month and include everything from the free forever plan plus marketing automation, email list segmentation, and more.
- Max 2: a custom-made solution to fit the needs of more extensive campaigns to generate higher profits - includes the features of the first two plans plus SMS marketing, transactional emails, and more.
ActiveCampaign is an email marketing service, marketing automation platform, and CRM that serves small businesses and enterprises.
- Personalize emails using contact data
- Split-test 5 different email versions to see what performs best
- Built-in spam tester to check if emails are heading to the junk file
- Audience segmentation based on user behavior
- Large selection of pre-made workflows
- Custom automation from scratch using specific triggers
- Score contacts based on digital engagement
- Broadcast, triggered, and targeted emails
- Autoresponders, email marketing funnels, and scheduled emails
- 14-Day Free Trial: offering a limited number of subscribers and sending emails.
- Lite plan: starts at $9 per month for 0 to 500 subscribers.
- Plus plan: starts a $49 per month for 0 to 500 subscribers.
- Professional plan: starts at $149 per month for 0 to 500 subscribers.
- Enterprise plan: starts at $259 per month for 0 to 500 subscribers.
Moosend is an email marketing service that caters to small businesses and is best known for its affordability.
- Drag-and-drop email editor
- Data Analytics
- A/B testing
- Email list segmentation
- Email automation templates
- Drag and drop automation editor
- Website and user tracking
- Email personalization via custom fields
- Cart abandonment emails
- Weather-based recommendations to trigger emails
- Customizable subscription forms
- Subscription form visibility options for mobile and desktop and more
- Integrations with WooCommerce, Shopify, WordPress, and more
- Free Trial: for 30 days with no credit card required. Access all features, including unlimited emails, automation workflows, 1x landing page, and 1x form.
- Pro: $9 per month, including everything from the Free Trial plus an SMTP server.
- Enterprise: is a custom plan including everything from the Free Trial and Pro plans plus account manager, priority support, SSO and SAML, and a dedicated IP.
Klaviyo is an email and marketing service platform that supports eCommerce shops with SMS and advanced email functionality to increase profits.
- Library of data-proven templates customizable to your brand
- Top eCommerce flows, including price drop triggers, back-in-stock alerts, cross-sells, and upsells
- Emails and texts catering to your customer’s shopping habits and communication preferences
- SMS messaging with compliance built-in
- Recent sales, product launches, or seasonal collection campaigns
- Social media marketing, including lookalike audiences
- Transactional, promotional, and lifecycle templates
- Automations, including self-sending emails and texts
- ROI based reporting
- Facebook and Instagram advertising
- Free plan: includes up to 250 contacts, 500 email sends, and email support - plus best-in-class segmentation, personalization, pre-built automation, unlimited A/B testing, one-click integrations, and more.
- Paid plans: start at $20 per month, including up to 500 contacts, unlimited email sends, and email and chat support - plus everything from the free plan.
Zoho is email marketing software perfect for selling products and customer engagement. Zoho campaigns have advanced email automation features for workflows and drip campaigns.
- Subscriber management from multiple sources, including Zoho CRM, Eventbrite, and G Suite
- A/B testing
- Personalized newsletter templates
- Pre-designed email templates
- Drag-and-drop editor
- Ecommerce marketing management
- Free Forever: up to 2K contacts, 6000 emails per month, up to 5 users, basic email templates.
- Standard: $3 per month (billed annually) and includes unlimited emails, up to 10 users, basic marketing segmentation, SMS marketing.
- Professional: $4.50 per month (billed annually) and includes unlimited emails, 20 users, advanced segmentation and drag-and-drop workflows, pop-up forms, and eCommerce cart abandonment.
17. Benchmark Email
Benchmark is an email marketing software that helps attract potential customers with powerful AI tools, marketing automation, landing pages, and more.
- Drag-and-drop builder
- HTML editor
- RSS emails
- Marketing automation
- Landing page builder
- eCommerce marketing features
- Free trial
- Lite: $9.99 per month and includes 3500 emails per month and you can remove Benchmark branding, build landing pages, and schedule emails.
- Pro: $15 per month and includes 7500 emails monthly, marketing automation, A/B testing, and more.
- Enterprise: contact Benchmark for pricing.
18. Salesforce Marketing Cloud
Salesforce is a digital marketing platform that has robust email marketing features, from basic campaign management to more advanced email marketing campaigns.
- Customizable templates
- Customer journey engagement
- Optimized for mobile marketing
- Drag-and-drop editor
- Automation workflow
- Personalized AI features
- Contact Salesforce for pricing
19. Agile CRM
With Agile CRM, you can create, send, and track professional emails and newsletters.
- Prepackaged and custom templates
- Targeted messaging
- Lead scoring
- Tracking and metrics
- A/B testing
- Drag-and-drop editor
- Social sharing
- Free plan for 10 users
- Starter: $8.99 per month
- Regular: $29.99 per month
- Enterprise: $47.99 per month
*Contact Agile for specific features.
Email Marketing Software That Doesn’t Disappoint
Remember that email marketing software drives sales when aligned with your digital marketing goals.
And from this list, you’ve probably narrowed down a good fit for your email marketing solution.
So pick a winner, start nurturing your audience with focused email campaigns, and see how easily you convert them into customers.
A certified content marketer with Smart Blogger, Kris Freeman, knows how to please the ‘Google Gods’ so that your content gets noticed, is cool to read, and starts to rank in Google. As a business owner, Kris has seen firsthand how mediocre businesses become unstoppable pursuits when Google starts to consider you relevant. You can find more of Kris's work at kriscfreeman.com or at her personal blog.